Wednesday, December 12, 2012

8th- Utopia Project Targets

Students will receive scores for all 5 targets, for each completed page. 

Writing Target: I can write an intriguing lead that makes the reader want to keep reading.
0
1
2
3
4
I do not know what a lead is.

I can write a lead, but it may not hold the reader’s interest.
I can write an intriguing lead that makes the reader want to keep reading.
I can write an exceptionally intriguing lead that makes the reader want to keep reading.









Writing Target: I use precise and descriptive language to create visual images in the reader’s mind.
0
1
2
3
4
I do not know what precise, descriptive language is.
I use general, ordinary language in my writing.
Most of the time I use general, ordinary language but I do stretch occasionally to make my writing create an image in the reader’s mind.

I use precise and descriptive language to create visual images in the reader’s mind.
I use exceptionally precise and descriptive language to make my writing come alive.










Writing Target: I use transitions and vary sentence beginnings to give my writing good rhythm and fluency. 
 
0
1
2
3
4
I do not know what transitions are or how to vary sentence beginnings.

I try to use transitions and vary sentence to improve my fluency, but it often sounds stiff, repetitive or stilted.

 I use transitions and vary sentence beginnings to give my writing good rhythm and fluency.
I use transitions and vary sentence beginnings to give my writing extremely good rhythm and fluency.

Writing Target:  I use correct conventions in my writing.
0
1
2
3
4
I did not edit my writing.
I have several convention mistakes in my writing. 
I have 1-2 convention mistakes in my writing.

I use correct conventions in my writing.
I use correct conventions in my writing, even with especially difficult words and punctuation.

Aesthetics: I have taken time and effort to develop work that has a professional appearance (straight lines, typed or nicely printed, black lined text, simple, but neat illustrations).
0
1
2
3
4
I have not taken time and effort to develop work that has a professional appearance (straight lines, typed or nicely printed, black lined text, simple, but neat illustrations).

I have taken time and effort to develop work that has a somewhat professional appearance (straight lines, typed or nicely printed, black lined text, simple, but neat illustrations).
I have taken time and effort to develop work that has a professional appearance (straight lines, typed or nicely printed, black lined text, simple, but neat illustrations).
I have taken time and effort to develop work that has an extremely professional appearance (straight lines, typed or nicely printed, black lined text, simple, but neat illustrations).