Thursday, December 13, 2012

7th- Tangerine Assessment Questions

7th grade students have been reading the novel Tangerine by Edward Bloor since November 28th, each day in class.  We will be finishing the novel before Winter Break and completing the final essay assessment.  The students have received the assessment questions, as well as a t-chart to help them gather information as they read.

Tangerine Final Assessment
There are two parts to this assessment.  Use your book while writing each response and remember to back up all of your opinions/arguments with evidence from the book and/or your own life.  Each part needs to be on a separate piece of paper.

PART 1


Author’s Message

What is Edward Bloor’s message about appearance?  Support your argument with evidence from the text.

PART 2


Apply this topic to your own life

Now, write about why this topic (the topic you wrote about for Part 1)  matters in your own world and make your own argument about the topic.  Do you agree or disagree with this message?  Use examples from your own life to defend your argument.



Target 1 (part 1)
7th Grade Reading/Writing Target:  I can write an interpretation of literary text. (author’s message)

0
1
2
3
3.3
I cannot write an interpretation of literary text.

I can begin to write an interpretation of literary text but I mostly just write the facts from the story.
I can write an interpretation of literary text that is beginning to move beyond just writing the facts.


I can write an interpretation of literary text.

I can write an interpretation and extend my thinking of literary text.



Target 2 (part 1)

7th Grade Reading/Writing Target: I can cite several pieces of textual evidence to support my interpretation of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
0
1
2
3
3.3
I cannot cite the textual evidence that supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly.
I can cite the textual evidence but it does not support my analysis of what the text says explicitly.
I can cite the textual evidence but it does not always support my analysis of what the text says explicitly.

I can cite several pieces of textual evidence to support my interpretation of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
I can cite several pieces of textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.



Target 3 (part 3)

7th Grade Reading/Writing Target:  I can analyze how a theme or central idea of a text is relevant today by using evidence from the world.

0
1
2
3
3.3
I cannot analyze how a theme or central idea of a text is relevant today.
I can analyze how a theme or central idea of a text is relevant today but do not evidence from the world to support my analysis.
I can analyze how a theme or central idea of a text is relevant today but do not have adequate evidence from the world to support my analysis.
I can analyze how a theme or central idea of a text is relevant today by using evidence from the world.
I can analyze how a theme or central idea of a text is relevant today by using highly effective evidence from the world.